The EPFO has launched a new campaign called the “Employee Enrollment Campaign 2017” aimed at bringing more people under the social security benefit.
This scheme is effective from 1st Jan 2017 to 31st Mar 2017. During this period, any employer can enroll eligible members who are currently not covered under the PF Act. All employees who were eligible for PF membership between the period of 1st April 2009 to 31st Dec 2016 but could not be enrolled at that time can now be declared under the enrollment campaign.
The employer has to give a declaration form stating that the employee was not previously enrolled for PF and also provide the Form 11 now and get them enrolled. (The format for the declaration form can be found here).
Several incentives are being offered to the employers to bring all eligible but uncovered employees under the PF. These are listed below:
- Previously, if any employee were found to have not contributed towards PF, then the employer would have to bear both the employee and employer share of PF for the noncontributory period. But now, in the new scheme, the employee contribution will not have to be contributed.
- If declared under the enrollment campaign, employer will only have to contribute the employer share of PF for the noncontributing period.
- Employer does not need to pay any administrative charges with respect to the contribution make under the declaration.
- Inquiry under section 7A will not be initiated if a declaration is made under the Employee enrollment campaign.
- The employer will have to pay one rupee per annum as damages w.r.t the employees for whom deductions has been made under this campaign.
- In case the employer fails to pay the dues, interest and damages within 15 days of making the declaration, then that declaration will not be considered under this campaign.
The objective of this campaign is to minimize the large number of litigation based on non-enrollment.
Now we shall see some of the common questions that come up with regard to this campaign.
1. Who can be declared as a member by the employer?
- Any employee who is alive
- Any employee who furnishes form 11 to the employer
- Any employee who was eligible to be under PF but was not enrolled for some reason
2. Can International workers be declared under this campaign?
- No. This campaign is applicable for only employees in India.
3. Is there any inspection to authenticate the ingenuity of the declaration?
- No inspection or verification is considered.
4. An employee/s has made a case against me regarding non-enrollment. Can I declare that employee/s under this campaign?
- Yes. Make use of this campaign to declare such employee/s provided that no proceedings have been initiated.
5. What is the restriction on the number of declarations that can be filed by an employer?
- There is no restriction on the number of declarations that can be filed by an employer.
6. What is the restriction on the number of employees that can be enrolled under a single declaration?
- There is no restriction on the number of employees that can be enrolled under a single declaration.
7. Is there an online facility is available for making the declaration?
- Yes. Facility is provided for making the declaration online. However, declaration can also be filed as a document with the concerned RO/SRO.
8. Is it necessary for the employer to take Form 11 from all the employees?
- Yes. Form 11 is mandatory.
So, that’s about the FAQs and Employee Enrollment Campaign 2017. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section below.