In order to provide ease of compliance of the labour laws, the ministry of labour and employment has launched a web portal called the “Shram Suvidha”. The portal was launched on Oct 16, 2014. Extending the facility further, the portal has also been enabled to provide EPF and ESI return filing services.
The major objective is to simplify the business regulations. Also, the use of technology will ensure transparency and accountability. The web portal is also multi-lingual, thus catering to the need of common man all across the country.
This will bring the efforts one step closer to unifying the filing process for the employers. The initiation has been done for the Acts which are applicable at a central level but subsequently the state governments are also to join this unified web portal.
Presently, the following labour laws have been made available on this portal:
- The Employees’ Provident Funds Act.
- The Employees’ State Insurance Act.
- The Contract Labour (Regulation & Abolition) Act.
- The Building and Other Construction workers Act.
- The Inter-State Migrant Workmen Act.
Each establishment will be provided with a unique Labour identification Number(LIN) also called as Shram Pehchan Sankhya which will be used for operating in the portal.
This LIN can be used by the establishments to contribute EPF and ESI amount. It is also to be used to file EPF and ESI return together in the portal.
Other facilities in the portal include:
- It provides filing of a single harmonized annual return for the employers.
- It provides online reporting of harmonized inspection report by inspecting officials.
This endeavour will help in reduction of transaction costs for business. It also makes it easy and convenient for the establishments to meet their obligations. This is a step towards a better business environment.