The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) is in the process of implementing the next version of UAN i.e., UAN 2.0, whereby the Universal Account Number of an EPF member is to be obtained/linked with their present employer before filing the Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR).
Currently, employers declare about new joiners, and obtain new UANs or link their existing UANs (based on whether they are first-time employed or have an existing EPF membership) to relevant PF accounts.
This whole process of UAN allotment and/or linking happens after the Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR) is submitted by the employer.
The system then automatically compares the new member ids in the present ECR with the earlier ECR and then pushes new employee details to the employer for verification.
The EPFO has released an internal communication in connection with UAN on 27th October 2016 changing the UAN generation and linkage process. The process of filing ECR is revised under the new version of UAN 2.0. Under this new version, the UAN would be allotted upfront and consequently, the ECR can only be filed for employees with UAN numbers.
Thus all employers are informed to complete the pending tasks of declaring about the first time employment of any member within their organization and ‘obtain the UAN’ or ‘link the UAN’ or ‘previous member ID’ for new employees that have a previous EPF membership
ON or BEFORE the 15th of November, 2016
In case the UAN has not been generated by then, the employer would not be able to transfer the PF amount to the respective employee from the 15th of November, 2016
Some key features of the UAN 2.0 version are:
- UAN would become an important field in Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR)
- For members joining EPF for the first time, the UAN should be obtained by the employer prior to filing ECR. (Note : The new UAN can be obtained through the online UAN portal)
- The employer should furnish and approve member’s KYC details, i.e. Aadhaar, PAN, Bank Account etc. to avoid issues in future.
- In instances where the new joiners already have an existing UAN number, then the linking of the same to their current PF account should be done before filing ECR. (Note : Generation/Linking of UAN can be done through online UAN portal)
- The employer may start remitting dues through ECR for all linked UAN thereafter.